German Chocolate Quartet
Every year I make German Chocolate Cake for my Dad's Birthday. Happy Birthday Dad, I love you. It is his favorite cake. This year I wanted to change things up a bit and do German Chocolate four ways.
German Chocolate Cake
- 1 bar (4 ounces) German Sweet Cooking Chocolate – chopped up
- ½ cup boiling water, add to chocolate and stir until melted, then set aside.
- 4 egg whites and a pinch of salt, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then set aside
- Cream together
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) room temperature or softened
- Add one at a time
- 4 egg yolks.
- Add melted chocolate.
- Add together in a separate bowl
- 2 and ½ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix all that together and at the end gently fold in the 4 egg whites.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes.
- The cake above is from one 6" cake pan.
German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Bake at 325 for 15 minutes for cupcakes. The whole recipe makes about 40 cupcakes.
- I made 2 dozen cupcakes.
Coconut-Pecan Frosting – for German Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In the medium sauce pan on medium-high heat stir together until it begins to boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes as it gradually thickens. When it is thick add:
- 1 and 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Stir that in and set pan aside to cool.
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 and 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- Whip together until smooth, adding more powdered sugar or heavy whipping cream as needed until it has a the right consistency.
German Chocolate Cake Pops
- Using one cake from a 6" cake pan
- Pull the cake apart and crumble into small pieces.
- Add about 1 cup chocolate frosting to the cake and knead together until it can form a ball
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out cake/frosting and roll into small balls with your hands. Freeze or refrigerate for 10+ minutes until firm.
- Melt some Chocolate Candy Melts 30 seconds at a time in a microwave, stirring in between times until the chocolate is all melted and smooth.
- Dip the end of a lollipop stick in the chocolate, then stick it into the center of a cake pop and return to the fridge or freezer to set for 10+ minutes. This keeps the stick from sliding out as you dip it.
- Dip Cake Pops in chocolate candy melts
- While the chocolate is still warm cover with left over chopped walnuts and coconut.
- I made about a dozen cake pops.
German Chocolate Macaroons
- Food processor for a few pulses
- 3/4 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- In a separate bowl add
- 3 eggs whites - left over from coconut pecan frosting
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add superfine sugar 1 Tbs at a time to egg whites while beating until they form a smooth, glossy, ribbon like consistency
- Sift almond flour/powdered sugar/cocoa mixture and gently fold into egg whites in batches
- Pipe out small circles for cookies on a parchment paper covered baking sheet
- Sprinkle on left over coconut and chopped pecans
- Let the cookies rest for 30 min at room temperature while pre-heating the oven.
- Bake cookies on 2 overlapped baking sheets for 10 - 15 min at 325 degrees.
- This made about 15 cookies
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, quickly bring it to a boil in a medium sauce pan
- 12 ounces or 1 package of mini-chocolate chips
- Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and stir until it is all uniformly melted.
- Store in fridge or freezer for it to thicken/harden
- Pipe or spoon out filling onto macaroon cookies