Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Carving Jack-o-Lanterns Halloween 2012

As was the tradition in my house growing up J and I carve pumpkins every Halloween.  J is an artist (majored in History, minored in Art) so it is one of the few times a year I get to see him exercise his talent and do something creative.  These are the two fine pumpkins I rescued from the local shelter down the street.
Before.
After.
As was the tradition in my family growing up we always roasted pumpkin seeds during or after carving and snacked on them throughout the week.

 Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


  • Wash pumpkin seeds
  • Spray down a pan with cooking spray
  • Lay out the seeds evenly and sprinkle with seasoning
  • I used salt and garlic powder for this batch.
  • Bake 350 degrees for 15 min


I did what I am calling an Undead Viking, inspired by Skyrim.
J tried his hand at 3D face sculpting.

What they looked like All Hallows Eve.  

Since it was a few days between carving and Halloween they kind of wilted and deformed.

We do so little decorating.  Aside from the pumpkins this flag was our only Halloween decoration.  I give the excuse that because we do not have kids and not many kids in the neighborhood we do not decorate, but mostly I think it is because I am lazy.  I do love Halloween.  This is J's pirate flag in the window.  His permanent home is the toy room.  Yes, we have a toy room.  
Lit up on Halloween.

J's face looks particularly scary I think.  We got a few kids compliment our pumpkin carvings.  That is always nice.

 We ran out of candy by 8pm.  I bought 6 bags on candy and had them only take one piece and we still ran out.  I guess we have more kids this year than last year.  I should buy more candy for next year.  I didn't get any left overs to eat.  Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment