Cake #1: Missionary Farewell Cake for Seth Hyde, July 14th, California San Fernando Mission. Good luck Seth, we'll miss you!
Cake #2: Mom's Birthday Cake, (July 17th), but we celebrated her birthday this year on Sunday July 21st.
I had the opportunity to make 2 cakes this month and they were both chocolate with chocolate ganache filling. As a chronic chocoholic, chocolate cake is very high on my priority list. I have chosen chocolate cake over my husband on more than one occasion and will do so again. He knows this and is fine with being number two (hmmm... there are so many different kinds of chocolate he may have to settle for number three or four....or five.)
- 1 pint of Heavy Whipping Cream (16 oz or 2 cups)
- 8 oz (1 cup) chopped semi-sweet chocolate or 1:2 ratio which I use for chocolate ganache fillings in cakes and cupcakes. You need to whip this one like whipped cream after it has cooled.
Note to self: Do not eat so much of the chocolate ganache that I don't have enough left for cake filling.
This is a very forgiving chocolate cake recipe with no instructions on the order you need to add things. You can dump everything in at once, mix it all together, and still end up with a gorgeous cake. But since the majority of my other cake recipes calls for wet first, dry second, and milk last I tend to do things that way.
- 1 and ⅔ cup flour
- 1 and ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 and ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 and ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 min. Makes enough batter for two 8 to 9 inch round cake pans.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter – melted
- 2 tsp vanilla or other flavorings
- 4 Tbs heavy cream, milk, or water – Mix with beater
- 2 Tbs Meringue Powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar – Mix with a beater 1 cup at a time.
- Add more heavy cream or powdered sugar for the right consistency you want
Missionary Farewell Cake. Same thing only different.