Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Apple Dumplings

I found this darling recipe in my 1978 Betty Crocker cookbook.  The cookbook was a wedding gift to my parents.  I "borrowed" it from my Mom a couple of years ago.  To this day it still has the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever tried.  The cookie chapter is worn and stained with years of family love.  We had what Mom called "Brownie Sunday".  It was not always brownies, just a dessert baking day, and always on a Sunday.  Chocolate Chip cookies were made just as often as brownies.  I honestly think the cookie chapter was the only chapter we used growing up.  I found this recipe as I was flipping through the book.  I was craving a dessert that I could pour heavy whipping cream over something hot out of the oven.

Apple Dumplings

Pie dough
2 Baking apples
3 Tbs raisins (I hate raisins so I used cranberries instead)
3 Tbs chopped nuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
 Heat to boiling the brown sugar and water.
 Roll out pie dough into 7" x 7" squares.  Chop nuts and raisins and mix together.  Core the apples, but do not peel.  Place the apple in the middle of the Pie dough square.  Fill the apple core with nuts and raisins.  Fold pie dough over the apple.
Place the doughed apples in a baking pan.
 Pour the brown sugar syrup over the apples.
 Bake at 425 degrees for 40 min.  Every 10 min or so spoon the brown sugar syrup over the apples.
 Take the baked apples out of the oven and pour a generous amount of heavy whipping cream over them.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment