Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 15: Orange

 Week 15.  F1 is the size of an orange.  To celebrate Orange week I decided to make an Orange themed dessert.  I only had one orange for photography purposes.  Orangeya glad we're having a baby.

 Orange Bars

Just like lemon bars, only different.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup room temperature butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp grated Orange peel
2 Tbs orange juice

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix flour, butter, and powdered sugar.  Press in ungreased square pan (8 x 8 x 2 or 9 x 9 x 2 inches, building up 1/2 inch edges) Bake 20 min.  Beat remaining ingredients until light and fluffy, about 3 min.  Pour over hot crust.  Bake until no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center, about 25 min.  Cool; cut into squares.

 The first thing I did was zest and press my one orange.
 Mix flour, powdered sugar, and butter together and press into a pan and bake for 20 min at 350 degrees.
 While I was waiting for the crust to bake on the orange bars I realized I had more orange juice left.  This meant I could do a second dessert!

Whip together eggs, sugar, orange juice, salt and baking powder and pour over the hot crust.  Put it back in the 350 degree oven for 25 min.

Orange Crisp Cookies

Just like chocolate chip cookies, only different.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp grated orange peel
1 Tbs orange juice
1 egg
2 and 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix sugars, shortening, and butter.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Roll dough into balls and flatten on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until edges are light brown, about 10 - 12 min.  

 Cream together sugars and soft butter and shortening.  I can sample the dough at this stage.  I am a notorious dough eater, so it has been very hard for me NOT to eat the dough once raw eggs have been added.  I can't eat raw dough when pregnant.
 Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
 Orange bars are done.  Dust with powdered sugar.
 Bake cookies are 375 degrees for 10 - 12 min.
 An Orange themed desert.  TWO orange desserts with ONE Orange.  Served on an Orange plate with an Orange mug.
 Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment