Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2015

Gingercake

I hear that ginger is a good natural remedy for morning sickness.  I have had pretty bad morning sickness during this pregnancy.  I also have pretty bad cake cravings.  A Gingercake would take care of both of my problems.  Right?  I should add that this tastes better than any gingerbread I have had and it made my kitchen smell like Christmas for two days.  It was amazing.  I also got to finally use my Treacle.  I went on a Treacle quest two years ago after reading "Alice in Wonderland."  I was surprised how hard it was to find here in Utah.  Thank goodness for the "London Market".  

Gingercake

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup Treacle
4-5 inche piece of fresh ginger root, finely grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
1 cup self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream together butter and brown sugar.  Add treacle, grated ginger, and beaten eggs.  Mix together dry ingredients and slowly add to the the mixture.  Add heavy cream last and mix until smooth.  Pour cake batter into a well greased pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool cake for 10 min before turning it out to cool.

 Finely grate about a 4" piece of ginger root.  This part smells wonderful.  I will never use ginger powder again.  That's a lie, but using real ginger made a huge difference.
 Cream together butter, brown sugar, ginger, and treacle.  I finally got to use my Treacle.  Best day of my cooking life.  Add beaten eggs.
 Add the flour mixture.
 Add the heavy cream last and mix until well incorporated.
 Pour cake batter into a well greased pan and bake for 50 min at 350 degrees.
 Allow the cake to cool for about 10 min before turning it out.
 Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with heavy cream.  I have been craving heavy cream poured over a hot dessert lately and this satisfies that craving.
 Or whipped cream.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment