Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Potato Pancakes

I have left over mashed potatoes.  That means I get to make potato pancakes.  Monday is my cooking with left-overs day.  When I make mashed potatoes for dinner I tend to make a larger than we need batch because I have a few recipes that use the left overs.  This might turn into potato week, but that's fine with me because I love potatoes.  It might be my Irish blood, but I just find them quite hardy and versatile.  This is also a good recipe for using instant mashed potatoes from food storage.

Potato Pancakes

2 and 1/2 cup mashed potatoes 
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup +/- Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Butter

Mix in milk and flour with the mashed potatoes, adjusting milk and/or flour until it forms a thick dough.  Knead the dough briefly on a floured surface.  Pinch off balls of dough and flatten to form pancakes.  Fry on a buttered pan or hot griddle for about 3-5 min per side.  Serve hot and top with either potato toppings or pancake toppings.
Here are my glorious left over mashed potatoes.
Add milk, flour, salt, and pepper.
Mix it all together and turn it out on a floured surface for a brief kneading.
Knead it gently until it forms a ball.  Pinch off some dough balls and flatten into pancakes.
Band Name:  Dough Balls.
Fry in a buttered skillet (or hot griddle) for 3 - 5 min on medium heat.
Flip the pancakes and cook the other side.
I decided to top mine with white cheddar, sour cream, and some parsley.  
Left-over potatoey pancakey goodness.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. It must the speck of Irish I have in me, but I too love tators.
    I am making mashed potatoes tonight, I think I will make too many!

    ReplyDelete