Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

Creamy Crock Pot Potatoes


Continuing on my love of potatoes theme, here are my creamy crock pot potatoes.  I made them for our Civil War Inaugural Pot luck Dinner last Saturday.  I typically use this recipe for Ham week with left over Christmas ham, but since I have been in a potato mood lately I had to make them.  I wish I were more of a crock-pot person.  Growing up we would have crock-pot Sunday dinners and I loved every one of them.  My poor wedding gift crock pot, though highly valued, is sadly underused.  One of my New Year's Goals is to step up my cooking.  To this I will add, and use my crock-pot more.

Creamy Potatoes, Ham, and Peas

2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced
6 - 8 oz ham cubes
1/2 a package of frozen peas, thawed
one bundle of green onions, chopped
4 oz (half a package) cream cheese, cubed
10 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup 
salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste

Mix together diced potatoes, ham, Cream of Chicken Soup, and salt and pepper in the crock pot.  Heat on high for 5 hours or low 7-8 hours.  About 10 minutes before serving add thawed peas, chopped green onions, and cream cheese cubes.  Stir together to allow cream cheese to melt.  Serve hot.
Here is my potato peeling and dicing station.  I used 5 lbs of potatoes for this batch and subsequently doubled or tripled the rest of the ingredients to match my potato ratio.
First thing I did was spray the crock pot with cooking spray to minimize potato sticking to the sides and bottom and burning.  Season well with salt, pepper, and other seasonings.  Remember potatoes can take a lot of salt.  Like my Momma always says, "Add salt until you think you've added too much, then add a little more and you're done."  Add one Cream of Chicken soup and ham cubes.
Stir it together and heat on high for 5+/- hours until the potatoes are soft.
When it is almost time to serve add the cream cheese, cut into cubes so they melt faster and can be more evenly distributed.
Add thawed peas.
Add green onions.
Mix it altogether again and serve hot and creamy.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Those tators were SO SO SO good!!!
    I will be making them myself next week, I do believe!

    ReplyDelete