Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

Strawberry Ricotta Goat Cheese Tarts

Ever since I learned how to make Ricotta cheese I have been thinking of things I can make with it.  My love of all things dessert drove me to this one.  Bake Ricotta Cheese Tarts.  I know, not chocolate.  I do, upon occasion, make a dessert without chocolate.  No often, but occasionally.
The first thing I need to do is make the Ricotta.

Ricotta

  • 6 cups whole milk (Vitamin D milk, you know, the red one)
  • 2 Tbs Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 tsp Salt
Add salt to milk in a large pan.  Stirring occasionally so it does not burn on the bottom, heat milk to almost boiling, 180 degrees, then add vinegar and lemon juice and remove pan from heat.  Let it sit for 5 min for the curds to form.
With a slotted spoon, carefully remove curds and place them in a cheese cloth lined colander or strainer over the sink or a deep bowl to let the whey drain out.
Gather up the corners of the cheese cloth and tie them around a spoon held over a large bowl.  Refrigerate overnight.
The second thing I need to do is make the Tart.

Pie Crust

  • 2 and 1/4 cup Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbs Sugar
  • 1 cup of cold Butter (2 sticks) cut into cubes.
  • 1/2+ cup of ice cold water
Food processor flour, salt, sugar, and butter cubes until it has a sand like texture.
Slowly add ice cold water until the dough comes together.  Add more water as necessary.
Remove dough and briefly knead together until it forms a ball.
Divide the dough ball in half and put each into a plastic bag.  Flatten out as desired.  Refrigerate for 30+ minutes.  Also can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for a few months.  Be sure to thaw it out before trying to roll it thinner.
The third thing I need to do is make the filling.  I decided to add Goat Cheese to my Ricotta because I love Goat cheese.  That is all.

Ricotta Goat Cheese Filling

  • 1 cup Ricotta
  • 1/2 cup Goat Cheese crumbles
  • 4+ Tbs Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 2+ Tbs Powdered Sugar (optional, if you like it sweet, and I do like sweet)
Whip it together until it forms a nice thick paste, like pudding.  May need to add more heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar according to taste.
Roll out one half of the pie dough and cut out tart sized disks.  Insert disks into a muffin tin.  Crimp the edges.  Add Ricotta Goat Cheese filling.  Just a spoonful each should do.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


They looked a bit plain so I added Strawberries.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment