Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Italian Ice Lemonade

I wanted something cool and refreshing to serve at our Civil War picnic.  I am an ice-cream-oholic, but alas have no ice cream machine. Tragically sad I know, until I found this simple recipe that satisfied my love of cold sweetness.  I thought it would hold its own at an outdoor picnic better than quick melting ice cream.  The best part, aside from eating it, is that it only has 3 ingredients and is a quite easy to make.  In the end my icey dessert went over very well.  Mom loved it and that is all the approval I need.  

Italian Ice Lemonade

  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
  • Add sugar to water and simmer until sugar is dissolved.  Add lemon juice.  Pour into 3+ ice cube trays.  Freeze overnight.  Food processor lemonade ice cubes until slush.  Serve.
3 ingredients:  Water, sugar, and lemons (Dalek cookie jar highly recommended, but optional).
Add sugar to water and simmer until sugar is dissolved.
Juice those lemons. It took me 5 lemons to get 1 cup of lemon juice.
Strain out the yucky bits (aka pulp) so you have a nice clear lemon juice to add to the sugar-water and mix briefly.
Pour lemonade into ice cube trays and freeze overnight.
Add the ice cubes to a food processor.
Process until they turn to snowy slush.
Ideally it should be served immediately but I was able to store the slush in an ice packed lunch box for a few hours until the picnic.  I also stored a jar in the freezer for J until he got home from work and that also worked.
A cool refreshing picnic dessert for a hot summer day.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I knew I wanted to try it! Looked so so so cool and delicious! I will be trying that one!

    ReplyDelete