I have been craving Cream Puffs for quite some time so I decided to do something about it. I never did like the store bought freezer variety. They will do in a pinch, but home-made cream puffs are the best. They are a bit involved and take multiple steps to accomplish, but once complete are a divine two or three bites of creamy puffy chocolatey goodness.
I am pretty particular in my Cream Puff making process. I always start with pastry cream because it takes the longest to make and set up, then I go for the puffs because they are quick and easy. The Chocolate Ganache is optional. Ideal, but still optional.
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup flour
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups of Whole Milk (You can use 2%, 1%, or Skim, but Whole milk tastes better. Fat is Flavor.)
- 2-inche piece of Vanilla Bean or 1 tsp Vanilla extract.
Cream Puffs (aka Chou Paste)
- 1 cup Water
- 8 Tbs Butter (1/2 a cup or 1 stick. It melts faster when you cut it up into Tablespoon portions.)
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 eggs - to be added last, one at a time
- 16 oz Heavy Cream (1 pint = 2 cups)
- 8 oz chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate or 1 cup chocolate chips
- Chop up chocolate. Heat Cream until it starts to boil. Turn off the stove and add the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Refrigerate.
Now, be like The Avengers and Cream Puffs, Assemble!