Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes with Ham

I have done twice baked potatoes before on the blog, but this time they are with Ham instead of Bacon.  I like to change things up a bit.  This is another of my go-to dinners when I have potatoes and not much else.  They are a bit time consuming, as in, they take more than an hour to make.  Therefore, these dinners are reserved for nights when J has to work late and I have plenty of time to wait for dinner.

Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe

  • Scrub a few large Russet potatoes clean and poke a few holes in them with a fork on both sides.
  • Bake potatoes for 1 hour at 375 degrees in the center of the oven on a sheet pan until tender.  Or as my Momma used to do, put the potatoes directly in the oven without a tray.  She also did this with broiled cheese on toast.  I did it once and flipped the toast when I was trying to get it out.  Nothing like trying to clean up burnt toast and melted cheese from the bottom of an oven.  I put everything on pans now.
  • Take potatoes out of the oven and let them cool until they are easy enough to handle.
  • Cut potatoes lengthwise and scoop out most of the centers and place in a large bowl.
  • Mash potato centers with sour cream, milk, butter, fried ham chunks, cheddar cheese, chives, a bit of salt and pepper and of course, Italian seasoning.  
  • Fill the empty potatoes skins and put them back in the oven.  Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and back for about 20 - 30 minutes longer, depending how hungry you are.  I do not have the gift of patience so I usually can only wait about 20 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and top with more cheese and sour cream.  The potatoes should be crisp on top and lightly golden brown. 

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness I love love love these!
    We will be having them tomorrow night! Thanks for the delicious reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had them last night - delicious!

    ReplyDelete