Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Scrub a few large Russet potatoes clean and poke a few holes in them with a fork on both sides.
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour at 375 degrees in the center of the oven on a sheet pan until tender. Or as my Momma used to do, put the potatoes directly in the oven without a tray. She also did this with broiled cheese on toast. I did it once and flipped the toast when I was trying to get it out. Nothing like trying to clean up burnt toast and melted cheese from the bottom of an oven. I put everything on pans now.
- Take potatoes out of the oven and let them cool until they are easy enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise and scoop out most of the centers and place in a large bowl.
- Mash potato centers with sour cream, milk, butter, fried ham chunks, cheddar cheese, chives, a bit of salt and pepper and of course, Italian seasoning.
- Fill the empty potatoes skins and put them back in the oven. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and back for about 20 - 30 minutes longer, depending how hungry you are. I do not have the gift of patience so I usually can only wait about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with more cheese and sour cream. The potatoes should be crisp on top and lightly golden brown.