Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Breast Cancer Cupcakes

My friend ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure this past weekend.  She asked me to supply a dozen cupcakes for the team.  Her only requirement was that they had to be pink.  I was more than happy to oblige.  Not only do I love making cupcakes, I also enjoy supporting a good cause.  This is my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. 

Chocolate Cupcakes

  • 1 and 2/3 cup sugar
  • ¾ cup butter - softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 and ½ cup milk
  • Cream sugar and butter.  Add eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.  Alternate adding dry and milk starting and ending with milk.  Stir to combine.  Bake 350°F for 18 – 20 min. Makes 24 - 30 cupcakes.


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 8 oz (1 package) of Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Butter, softened
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 3 Tbs Strawberry puree
  • 2 Tbs Heavy Cream
  • 7-8 cups of Powdered Sugar
  • Mix the Cream Cheese, Butter, Vanilla, and Strawberry puree together.  Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix it in.  Add Heavy Cream as needed for consistency.  
  • I find it really hard to flavor cream cheese, since cream cheese is such a strong flavor in an of itself.  To make the strawberry really stand out I boiled down 1 cup of strawberry puree with 1/4 a cup of sugar until it was reduced to about 1/3 cup of a thick syrupy paste, then added it.

I wanted these to scream "Breast Cancer Cupcakes" and not just pink cupcakes so I made some pink fondant ribbons for them.



Then, as if I did not have enough pink, I added pink sprinkles.
Now I have my Pink Breast Cancer Cupcakes that is more than just pink cupcakes.
I ended up with 30 cupcakes.  I brought a dozen for the race and another dozen to share at work.
Enjoy.
Destroy Breast Cancer.  It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment