My friend ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure this past weekend. She asked me to supply a dozen cupcakes for the team. Her only requirement was that they had to be pink. I was more than happy to oblige. Not only do I love making cupcakes, I also enjoy supporting a good cause. This is my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe.
- 1 and 2/3 cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter - softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 and ½ cup milk
- Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Alternate adding dry and milk starting and ending with milk. Stir to combine. Bake 350°F for 18 – 20 min. Makes 24 - 30 cupcakes.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz (1 package) of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Tbs Strawberry puree
- 2 Tbs Heavy Cream
- 7-8 cups of Powdered Sugar
- Mix the Cream Cheese, Butter, Vanilla, and Strawberry puree together. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix it in. Add Heavy Cream as needed for consistency.
- I find it really hard to flavor cream cheese, since cream cheese is such a strong flavor in an of itself. To make the strawberry really stand out I boiled down 1 cup of strawberry puree with 1/4 a cup of sugar until it was reduced to about 1/3 cup of a thick syrupy paste, then added it.
I wanted these to scream "Breast Cancer Cupcakes" and not just pink cupcakes so I made some pink fondant ribbons for them.