Mom asked me to make an Easter cake and maybe some cupcakes since a lot of people were coming over for Easter dinner. She gave me a magazine picture of a cute flower box cake that she wanted. This is my version. I had a lot of fun with it.
Basic Vanilla Cake
- 3 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 sticks (1 and ½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Mix dry ingredients all together, then add butter and mix until it is a fine crumble. Beat eggs into milk and vanilla, then pour into dry ingredients and mix. Bake 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 Tbs butter, softened at room temperature
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs sour cream
- Bowl #1
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbs sugar
- ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder / chopped baking chocolate
- 1 and ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Bowl #2
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup pre-made chocolate pudding
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients. Fold in
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Bake 350 degrees for 18+ minutes.
I threw on yellow chocolate butterflies to contrast with the purple flowers. I also make a few "Tulip" cake pops to add some height to the finished product.
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter – melted
- 1 tsp vanilla or other flavorings
- 2 Tbs heavy cream, milk, or water – Mix with beater
- 1 Tbs Meringue Powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar – Mix with a beater 1 cup at a time.
- Add more heavy cream or powdered sugar for the right consistency you want
She also added some of Grandma's bunnies to the living room.
Then I walked into the kitchen and found more bunnies. A whole village of bunnies. Who knew Grandma had so many bunnies.