Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter Flower Box Cake 2013

Mom asked me to make an Easter cake and maybe some cupcakes since a lot of people were coming over for Easter dinner.  She gave me a magazine picture of a cute flower box cake that she wanted.  This is my version.  I had a lot of fun with it.
My ingredient table.  I like to make sure I have everything I need before I get started so I do not have that "panic moment" when I realize I am missing an ingredient in the middle of making a batter and need to rush to the store and buy it.  I used an 8" brownie pan and an 8" glass dish.  They are both 8" x 8" squares.  It should work.

Basic Vanilla Cake


  • 3 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 sticks (1 and ½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • Mix dry ingredients all together, then add butter and mix until it is a fine crumble. Beat eggs into milk and vanilla, then pour into dry ingredients and mix. Bake 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting


  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
  • 4 Tbs butter, softened at room temperature
  • 6 cups of powdered sugar
  • Zest of one orange
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 Tbs sour cream
Now to apply the Wafer Cookies to make the cake look more like a flower box.
I thought the top was not "springy" enough so I added some grass.
Now to making the cupcakes.

Chocolate Cupcakes



    • Bowl #1
  • 1 cup flour
  • ¾ cup + 2 Tbs sugar
  • ¼ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder / chopped baking chocolate
  • 1 and ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
    • Bowl #2
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 3 eggs
  • ¾ cup pre-made chocolate pudding
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • Mix together wet and dry ingredients.  Fold in
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips
  • Bake 350 degrees for 18+ minutes.
I threw on yellow chocolate butterflies to contrast with the purple flowers. I also make a few "Tulip" cake pops to add some height to the finished product.
ButterCream Frosting

  • ½ cup shortening
  • ½ cup butter – melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla or other flavorings
  • 2 Tbs heavy cream, milk, or water – Mix with beater
  • 1 Tbs Meringue Powder
  • 4 cups powdered sugar – Mix with a beater 1 cup at a time.
  • Add more heavy cream or powdered sugar for the right consistency you want
Now that I have all my components for a perfect Easter dessert:  Flower Box Assemble!
Then I thought, looking at the grass, it was still a bit boring so I added some frosting flowers.
Fun with frosting flowers.  I decided to carry on with the purple, yellow, and white color scheme that I started with the cupcakes.
I have a complete flower box cake that I am satisfied with.
With cake pop tulips.
And yellow butterfly with purple and white flower cupcakes so it kind of looks like a garden.  An abstract edible garden.
On to the family Easter party.  Mom did some decorating.  I was greeted with a basket full of Easter eggs on the front porch.
She also added some of Grandma's bunnies to the living room.
Then I walked into the kitchen and found more bunnies.  A whole village of bunnies.  Who knew Grandma had so many bunnies.
Here are some awkward family party photos for your enjoyment.



A Normal Rockwell Family Easter.
I love my family.







1 comment: