Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Yeast Rolls

Yeast Rolls

Yeast Rolls, courtesy of Lorna Hyde from the Highland 1st Ward Cookbook page 77.  I get my recipes from a variety of sources.  I have a scary large collection of cookbooks.  I subscribe to cooking magazines, and frequent food blogs, websites, tv shows, and pinterest.  Some of the recipes I post here are copied down exactly as written from the source, some have been tweaked a bit to my taste, some I mash up together from different sources, and some I make up.  Professionally I feel that I should post the reference of each recipe.  Since I am not a professional, (and this is my silly little blog) I choose not to, unless it is of some importance to me.  Growing up there were two significant cookbooks that my Mom used.  The first was "Betty Crocker Cookbook" that she got for her wedding, which I have borrowed...    permanently.  It automatically flips open to chocolate chip cookies.  The second is the "Highland 1st Ward Cookbook", which Mom still has at her house...    for now.  I grew up in Highland 1st Ward.  Mom grew up in Highland 1st Ward.  My Grandparents started Highland 1st Ward.  It is a generational thing.  The recipes from this book belong to my Grandparent's generation, so they are important to me.

Yeast Rolls - 

  • 2 Tbs Yeast
  • 1 and 1/2 cup warm water
  • 3 Eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup melted Shortening
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 5 cups Flour
  • Combine yeast and warm water, let it sit for 5 min.  Mix the rest of the ingredients, then add the yeasty water.  Add flour last and mix.  Form into a ball and let rise until double.  Roll out, cut out, and let rise again until double.  Makes a great base dough for cinnamon rolls.
  • Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  I can get 2 dozen from this recipe.

Add yeast to warm water and let sit at least 5 min.  While waiting, prepare the other ingredients.
Melt shortening in the microwave.

Add shortening and salt to the eggs.
Then add the yeasty water and mix that together.
Mix in the flour and form a ball.
Set aside in a warm place to rise for about an hour until double in size.
Set the dough out onto a floured surface.
Roll out in a thin layer.
Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter.
Brush each circle with melted butter.  I microwave a whole stick of butter.
 Stack four circles together and set in a greased muffin pan.
Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise again until double in size.  II can get about 2 dozen rolls from this recipe.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes.
My husband calls these Brain Rolls because he thinks they look like brains.  I just think they look like rolls.
Enjoy.  I need to think of a new ending tag line.
Allosaurus are the best because they are just like a T-Rex only different.  Their arms can be used to kill prey and brush their teeth.
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment