Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

Any recipe that calls for 1 cup of butter has to be good.  That being said, any recipe that calls for 4 cups of heavy cream has to be even better.  This is a very rich soup which I do not recommend for the lactose intolerant.

Butternut Squash Soup

  • 1 medium Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
  • 2 lbs Carrots
  • 1 cup Butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 1 rib of Celery
  • 4 cups of Heavy Cream
  • 1 tsp Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Suggested Seasonings:  Salt, Pepper, Cloves, Cinnamon
  • Bake Butternut Squash cubes on a greased pan at 350 degrees with 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, and salt for 20 - 30 minutes until soft but not burned.
  • Boil carrots until soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
  • Saute onion, celery, and garlic in 1/2 cup butter until soft.  
  • Food processor the carrots, onions, and butternut squash until it has a paste like consistency.  A Vitamix or heavy duty blender would work better, but my sad little blender could not handle the stuff.  It cannot even properly mix a milkshake let alone a hearty soup.  For a blender that works:  Slowly add heavy cream.  For my small capacity food processor I added the orange mush to a large soup pot  then slowly added the heavy cream and stirred it in.  Bring to a simmer.  Add sugar, salt, and seasoning to taste.  Add water if it is still too thick.   

This is what happens to most of my thoughtfully crafted meals.
They end up on the coffee table in front of the tv where J is either playing video games or we are watching "Big Bang Theory".  Here J, I spent the last three hours making a gorgeous dinner for you to eat while playing "Fallout 3".  He is very appreciative.  I try to have intelligent dinner conversations during commercial breaks and downloading times.  The Allosaurus had three fingered forelimbs while the T-Rex only had two.  Robots hands can perform just as well as human hands with a minimum of three digits.  Why do we have five?  To play piano better.  The piano is overrated.
K.

2 comments:

  1. You completely crack me up.
    I love the 3 hour prep time, and the 15 min disappear time. Actually, I HATE it! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually took me longer than 3 hours because I made the yeast rolls with the soup which includes 2 one hour rising times. I think it is more ironic how hard I try to make a pretty looking dish only to sit it in front of the tv where J barely looks at it as he eats. Sigh. Marital Bliss.

      Delete