Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Cream of Potato Soup with Bacon

Cream of Potato Soup with Bacon

This is a clam chowder recipe.  I had potatoes, bacon, and heavy cream on hand but no clams so I turned it into a cream of potato and bacon soup.  This is also a nice one pot recipe.

Into one large pot add:

1 ration of bacon cut into small-ish pieces and fried crispy.  Remove to drain and set aside.
Add 1 onion and a few sticks of celery finely chopped to the rendered bacon fat and saute for about 5 min.  Like Momma always says "Never let good bacon fat go to waste".
Chop garlic and add to the pot and saute for about 30 seconds.
Add 1/4 cup flour to cover the vegetables and cook for about a minute.
Gradually whisk in 2 cans of vegetable/beef/or chicken broth
Add 7 to 8 diced potatoes.  
Bring pot to a simmer and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Add 1 cup heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add back the crispy bacon and some parsley for garnish.
Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I think I will actually make this one tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am printing this one off! Just like I did with many other recipes of yours. On that thought, I think we will be having your baked ziti tonight!

    ReplyDelete