Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2014

Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake

Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake

I was looking through my cooking magazines for some Thanksgiving ideas and came across this little darling.  Feeling in a cakey mood I decided to try it.  Though I am not a coffee drinker, I do love coffee cake. 

Filling

1 cup chopped Walnuts (I did not have enough walnuts, so I added some Pecans)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Coffee Cake

4 eggs, separated
1 cup butter
1 and 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake, or as I have come to call it, My 4 Bowls.
In a bowl #1 mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon and set aside.
In bowl #2 place egg whites and allow to stand at room temperature for 30 min while preparing everything else.  Then whip into stiff peaks and fold into cake batter.
In bowl #3 cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg yolks and vanilla.
In bowl #4 Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Alternately add flour and sour cream to cake batter, beating well after each addition.

Fold in egg whites.
Pour half of the batter into a well greased bunt pan.
 Sprinkle with walnut mixture.  Pour in the remaining batter.  Bake for 45 - 55 min at 350 degrees.  Cool cake for about 10 min before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool.
 I always hold my breath and pray when I have to flip cakes over and take them out of the pan.  I was so relieved that this came out in one piece.  I have a history of bunt cakes not coming out.
 Dust with powdered sugar.
 And serve.
 It also tastes good the next day.
 Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment