Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Death by Chocolate Cake

For Mother's Day my Mom, the best Mom in the World, requested a chocolate ganache cake.
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Mix together:
1 and 2/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together:
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
Make a well in the flour sugar cocoa mix.  Add wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Bake 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Makes 2x 8" or 9" pans.
I did a Chocolate Buttermilk cake with Chocolate ganache filling, chocolate glaze and chocolate curls.

Chocolate Ganache filling
1 cup whipped cream, briefly bring to a boil.  Use hot cream to melt 1/2 cup shaved semi-sweet chocolate.  Refridgerate until cold.  Whip.

Chocolate Ganache Glaze
1 cup heavy whipped cream, briefly bring to a boil.  Use to hot cream to melt 2 cups of shaved semi-sweet chocolate.  Pour over the top of the cake and refidgerate until hardened.
Chocolate Curls
3 ounces of chocolate
1 Tbs shortening
Microwave 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth.  Pour over the bottom of a metal cookie sheet.  Spread out in a thin sheet and stick the pan in the freezer.  When cold enough scrape with a metal spatual and the chocolate "should" curl.  If it crumbles it is too cold and wait a  minute for it to warm up more.  If it scrapes off and does not curl, put it back in the freezer for a minute and try again.  Store successful curls in a bag in the freezer until ready to stick on the side of the cake.

This is my Mother's Day card I made.  I felt like being crafty with construction paper, scissors, and glue.
I love my Mommy so much.

2 comments:

  1. This cake was absolutely the best one I've ever had! I love Chocolate! I need to try and make this someday! Thanks for posting the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You know, this is the same chocolate cake recipe I used for your wedding cupcakes. Courtesy of Mom's Lion House cookbook which I have been "borrowing" for the past few years.

      Delete