Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lazy Man's Red Beans and Rice

I once heard somewhere (Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show) that Red Beans of Rice was the perfect dish because it has all the vitamins and nutrients you need.  I just find it a warm and tasty comfort food.  Craving such I looked up a few recipes on how to make it.
Red Beans and Rice
This is my pinterest inspiration.  I really need to work on my food photography skills, my background lighting is atrocious.  Anyway, this is what I wanted to make, but after looking at a few recipes I decided that they were all long and complicated and cooking beans takes forever.  This is what I ended up making, the lazy man's version of red beans and rice.

Lazy Man's Red Beans and Rice

  • 1 can of Bush's Baked Beans or similar
  • 1 Sausage - sliced
  • 2 cups of Minute Rice
  • A handful of Green Onions - chopped
  • Heat a can of baked beans on the stove top.  In a separate pan heat up some sausage slices.  In a separate rice cooker make about 1 - 2 cups of rice.  At our house we love rice so I always make extra to snack on for later.  You can make this with pasta instead of rice Camilla.
Add the sausage to the baked beans and pour over a bowl of rice.  Garnish with some green onions for color and flavor.  I love all things onion.  For those Anime/Manga/Naruto fans out there that recognized the symbols on the bowls I was using, here they are without the food.  
J got them for me for Valentine's Day one year.  I always use Naruto (right) and J always gets Itachi (left).  I was crazy into Naruto a few years back.  Here I am in my cosplay Sakura costume with J on Halloween.  We went trick-or-treating.  I am currently reading "Bleach".  J has always been very supportive of my inner geek trends.  I was a closet nerd until I met him.
Lazy Man's Red Beans and Rice will now go on the list of favorite comfort foods that are easy to make.
Believe it!

1 comment: