Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

Baklava Elephant Ears

Every once in a while my awesome job has a company pot luck BBQ.  They provide the meat (Spare Ribs this time) and there is a sign up sheet for side dishes in the lunch room.  I signed up for dessert.  It is sort of my thing right now.  Not always.  I brought drinks once.  I was craving Elephant Ears and Baklava so I combined them.  They went over very well as there were none left at the end of the day to take home with me.  But not to worry, J and I snacked on them fresh out of the oven before I brought them to work so they passed J's stringent Quality Control Parameters.  He is my expert Quality Assurance Manager.  They are not super sticky sweet as I am accustomed to making, but still really tasty and pretty easy to make.  The only hard part I think is waiting forever for the puff pastry to thaw before rolling it out and not burning them in the oven.

Baklava Elephant Ears

  • 1/2 Butter, melted
  • 2 Sheets of Puff Pastry, thawed
  • 1/4 cup or so of Cinnamon and Sugar.  I did not measure this.
  • Honey, again, not measuring it
  • 1/2 cup Almonds
  • 1/2 cup Walnuts
  • 1/2 cup Pistachios
  • Roll out and butter the puff pastry.  I used both sheets and made two batches.  Sprinkle Cinnamon-Sugar.  Sprinkle food processed nuts.  Drizzle honey on top.  Roll it up.  Cut it in 1 inch slices.  Bake each side at 450 degrees for 5 - 6 min each.  Watch it.  They are easy to burn.  

Roll out the Puff Pastry and butter it up.
Food processor the Baklava nut trio:  Walnuts, Almonds, and Pistachios.
Sprinkle Cinnamon-Sugar on the buttered pastry.
Sprinkle half the nuts.  Save the other half for the next puff pastry sheet.
Drizzle honey over the nuts and roll it up starting at the two edges and roll towards the middle until the two ends touch.
Cut off one inch thick slices.
Set the slices on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.  Dab some more melted butter on top of the rolls.
Bake at 450 degrees for 6 minutes on one side, take them out of the oven and flip them over to bake for another 5 - 6 minutes on the other side.  I used tongs to flip them.
They taste good hot out of the oven and cooled down the next day.
Enjoy.
T-Rex:  "I am best Dinosaur there is!"
Allosaurus:  "Oh ya, want to arm wrestle?"
Get it, cause Allosaurus has bigger front limbs than T-Rex and they were actually useful for tackling prey.  J made that one up.  Thought I would try it out on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment